Saturday, August 10, 2019

Bird Show

Unfortunately it's taken me two days to get my internet in the hotel room working, so this is a day late and probably not going to be as detailed as it could have been.

We started the day very early. We had to get going by 9 and I was so paranoid I would sleep late I ended up getting up crazy early. I was thankful it gave me a chance to clean out my car a little and pick a few things up from Walgreens.

We eventually went to meet up with Megan and Co and got on the road.

The bird show was about an hour away and we had to drive through Chicago. I hear the traffic could have been much worse, so I am grateful it was, what it was as my nerves were already plucked.

We did get a cool picture of the city.

When we arrived at the bird show I had no idea what to expect. As you walk in the room, obviously there are lots of birds, but very few of them were in cages. There were so many to see. Canaries, Cockatiels, Love birds, Mccaws, Other noisey ones that start with C.... and my new favorites, Parrotlets.  

We walked around the room looking at all these beautiful creatures, and I stopped at one station who had around 20 birds just waiting to be picked up. Before I knew it, I was covered in birds and I turned around to find my children in a similar way. I ended up staring in to the eyes of a chubby little cockatiel that waddled like a penguin. He was so cute I could have stuck him in my pocket and brought him home, but alas I put him back a carried on.
Then we came to John's Pocket Parrots. A breeder of parrotlets. He hand feeds all his birds as soon as they hatch from the egg.
He even had brand new babies you could watch him feed. They were tiny and bald.
He has them all perfectly trained to fly back to their cage, but they have never really spent time in there because they stick with their people.
Then I saw her. A beautiful gray/white Parrotlet with just a touch of green and blue here and there. He placed her tiny little self in to my hands and that was it. Love and first flap.

 We named her Leeta. After a star trek character of course.
We walked around some more while my friends took care of their purchases, I gathered lots of ideas for toys I could make our new feathered friend but all  I could think about was getting home to play with her.
She was so sweet and friendly. She never tried to bite or fly away. I placed her in my hair band and she peeked out.

I spent the entire rest of the day bonding and playing with our new baby.

I was a tiny be alarmed when she started making a noise like a broken radio, Megan assured me its just a baby birds way of asking food.

Eventually we got back to the hotel. Megan and Co all came over to play cards until it was time for bed.

All in all it was a pretty awesome and special day.

Def one worth remembering.

- Sophie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chicago

Our day had a lovely slow start. I laid in my bed for as long as possible (8am), we meandered down stairs for breakfast. We actually managed...